What do Charlie Chaplin, Oddjob, and Steed have in common?
Bowler hats! In the James Bond movie Goldfinger, the eponymous character had a sidekick who used a razor-edged bowler hat; in one scene he uses it to decapitate a statue. Charlie Chaplin’s character, the Tramp, often wore bowler hats. John Steed, played by Patrick Macnee, a central character in the TV series The Avengers, had… Continue reading
About Me (and my Obsession)
My obsession with London street names began in the early 90s when I worked in the Smithfield area and happened upon Bleeding Heart Yard. In my wanderings around London, kept adding to my store of weird and wonderful street names. Eventually it was time to share – hence my blog. I hope you enjoy these names as much as I do.
- Poultry and Hen and Chickens Court – names for National Poultry Day
- Greenberry Street and Red Lion Square: street names for St Patrick’s Day and Red Nose Day
- Bleeding Heart Yard: revisiting (and debunking) old favourites
- Colours and music in London street names
- Pardons (or not) and justice in street names